What is the Mayor’s Youth Council?
The Mayor’s Youth Council consists of local high school sophomores, juniors and seniors, appointed by the Mayor and approved by the City Council. Mayor’s Youth Council members are selected to serve on two-year terms or until they graduate from high school. The members do not receive monetary compensation.
We as the Mayor’s Youth Council make our decisions based on these statements.
Youth Engagement/Information: We believe in creating an informed city by promoting information. We believe this engages youth in important issues in their community which is beneficial.
Equity: We believe in promoting and making decisions that give all youth access to what they need.
Unity: We believe in creating a welcoming environment in which each person feels empowered and respected. This environment allows for advocacy and standing up for what we believe in.
Sustainability: We believe it is important to be environmentally conscious to ensure an improved community for years to come.
Health/Safety: We believe that promoting safety and the well-being of youth is the number one priority of our city. We believe the mental and physical aspect of safety improves the lives of students.
Charges of the Northfield Mayor’s Youth Council (Resolution #2006-033)
- Assist with the identification of issues important important to Northfield young people.
- Work with community partners and other youth initiatives to help design and implement solutions to address opportunities and areas of concern.
- Provide youth perspectives on relevant issues to the mayor, council members and other groups.
- Assure a youth voice in civic affairs.
What Does The Mayor’s Youth Council Do?
- Candidate Forum for high school students with local candidates (Mayor, City Council at-Large, School Board)
- Volunteer at various city activities throughout the school year
- Youth Vote at the high school every election cycle
- Keep Northfield youth updated on relevant local issues
- Wrote the successful application to have Northfield named as one of the “100 Best Communities for Young People” by America’s Promise
- Each semester the MYC sponsors a dinner and guided discussion with youth from the community on issues that are important to them. The event called the Northfield Youth Conversation Event is funded by a grant from YouthBank.
- Every 6-8 weeks the MYC hosts a free Game Night for all Northfield youth. With a ton of different board games, a Wii tournament and free candy and soda this is a great night of games, friends and fun!
Mayor’s Youth Council Members (2019-2020)
- Celine Falcon Geist*
- Oran Frenstad
- Natalie Nevin
- Angie Oscal Orrego*
- Audrey Pagel*
- Caroline Peterson*
- Ella Schmidt*
- Alanah Barnes
- Martin Brice
- Greenlee Dahle*
- Anders Larson*
- Riley Ledman*
- Ryan Malecha*
- Meg Tomonari
- Anna Worden
- Will Beaumaster
- Clara Lippert
- Veronica Torres Bermuda
* denotes Mayor’s Youth Council member in 2018-19
Mayor Rhonda Pownell, City of Northfield
Ben Martig, Northfield City Administrator
Meleah Follen, Northfield Healthy Community Initiative